JOB DESCRIPTION FOR SENIOR CARE WORKER
Salary – £9.25 per hour, Mileage expenses and on-call allowance.
SUMMARY OF POST: Whilst every effort has been made to outline the main duties and responsibilities of the post, it should be remembered that a document such as this does not permit every item to be specified in detail.
To have individual responsibility in accordance with the practices, procedures and policies of Admiral Care Services (NI) Ltd for the personal needs of the service user. To enable service users’ to live as independently, comfortably, and securely as possible. To promote the opportunity for service users to live in the community for as long as possible, by providing care and support to individuals and families. To assist in the management provision to service users and staff.
- To perform basic personal care tasks as outlined in the service users care plan.
- To alert Care Coordinator / Team Leader / Office of any changes in the service users condition or
- To participate in the on-call provision. Offering out of hours support to service users and staff in need of emergency support.
- To be flexible in approach, offering short term emergency cover where required.
- To assist in maintaining the administrative systems in place, following policies and procedures as required.
- To create and maintain good communication with service users including those who may have some degree of communication difficulties.
- To create and maintain effective working relationships with service user
- To develop good communication links with the usual carer or family member in the service user’s home.
- To prepare and cook meals if outlined if the care plan.
- To undertake housekeeping, household cleaning duties as requested if outlined in the care plan.
- To help with purchasing of provisions to provide an adequate balanced and stimulating diet when necessary.
- To adhere to all of the Admiral Care Services (NI) Ltd policies and procedures.
In general, it is the duty of the post holder to undertake all care work with the sensitivity required to provide services in a way which will preserve the dignity, privacy, choice, independence, fulfilment and rights of the service user and his/her usual carer/family member.
Responsibility for Resources
- Senior Care workers have no direct responsibility for any other staff member, however will be expected to mentor and offer peer support to colleagues as well as assisting in action plan / milestone completion where required.
- Care workers should aim to ensure a safe and possible living environment for service users whilst respecting service user’s choice and rights.
- Care workers should ensure the service user is not put at risk as a result of home care activities.
- Care workers will have to work alongside other care staff.
Responsibility for people
- Equipment, protective clothing and uniforms are provided by Admiral Care Services (NI) Ltd.
- Care workers are responsible for the safe handling or property and equipment belonging to the service user.
Physical and Emotional Demands
- Care work often is affected by the psychological demands of service users.
- Travelling between service users in all weather conditions can be physical demanding for care workers.
- Likewise caring for a service user with high and / or complex needs can be both physically and emotionally demanding.
1 . Senior Care workers work in the homes of service users, which will vary considerably in terms of physical structure, cleanliness, warmth and material standards.
- Senior Care workers must not work with equipment that is unsafe. Any unsafe equipment should be reported to the Supervisor team and / or office immediately.
- Senior Care workers work as part of a caring team liaising with the supervisor team and other professionals as necessary.
- Senior Care workers may be required to undertake any other tasks specified by the supervisor team relevant to the role and to the needs of the service user.
Responsibilities of Care Worker is your responsibility to read and understand Admiral Care Services (NI) Ltd Policies and Procedures.
The Duty of Care
This is a legal term meaning you have responsibility towards everyone you come into contact with to ensure they are not caused harm. Admiral Care Services (NI) Ltd has a responsibility to provide training for you and you have a responsibility to attend that training and adhere to what you are taught. Training will provide you with the knowledge to give high quality care to your service users, reducing the risk of harm to them and to you.
As with any social or personal care given by you to the service user, the duty of care is absolute and on no account must tasks be performed by you for which you have not been trained.
The above is not an exhaustive list of duties and you will be expected to perform different tasks as necessitated by your changing role within the organisation and the overall business objectives of the organisation.